Here's a look at what's been going on here in the jungle:
- On February 20th, we welcomed a beautiful baby boy into the world. He was the first jungle baby of 2018! The number of pregnant ladies that we attend has increased since the opening of our L&D ward, so we are anxiously waiting for more babies to be born this year.
- In March, we hosted our first midwife conference at the Jungle Hospital. Our goal in hosting this meeting was to equip them with the tools they need so they can safely and knowledgably deliver babies. Dr. Martin and Dr. Amy Wood, a neonatologist from the states, facilitated the event which included teachings and exercises so each midwife felt comfortable with the entire process of delivery, from beginning to end. Ultimately, we would rather all ladies go to the hospital during their delivery, but we know that deliveries happen frequently at home. We had a great time and each midwife walked away with a bag full of what they need for an entire year.
- The first medical team this year was a group from City Hope Church who was also joined by three Canadian families for a total number of 46....YES, 46 people!! It was an incredible week of ministry which included three medical brigades and five school visits. Many people who joined us from this team had never been to Honduras before.....seeing them experience missions/Honduras for the first time was so refreshing! It was like I was seeing it all again for the first time.
- I absolutely love it when jungle family comes back to visit! Mark and Heather Younger, who lived and worked here for 6 years, brought their family for a week visit! It was so incredible to have them back in the jungle (even if it was for only a week) and to hear about their goals and dreams for the future. During their stay we finished putting the drop ceiling in the dorm, completed a few other handy projects around and visited a school to provide vitamins and albendazole. I miss them already and can't wait to see them again.
- Our second medical team of the year came from River Valley Church in Apple Valley, Minnesota. This visit was the first medical mission for this church and they knocked it out of the park! From the first moment they stepped foot on campus until they reached the airport on day seven, they were so eager to serve and willing to do so in any capacity.
So much has happened this year, yet there is so much more to come! Stay tuned....